- Tension type headache
- Chronic Daily Headache
- Chronic Migraine
- Cluster headache
- Menstrual Migraine
- Menstrual Migraine Treatments
- Medication Overuse or Rebound Headache
- Exertional Headache
- Organic Headaches
- Orgasmic and Sex Headaches
- Posttraumatic Headache
- Stabbing Headache or Icepick Headache
- Sinus Headache or Migraine?
- What do brain tumor headaches feel like? Find reassurance
- Thunderclap Headache
- Traumatic Brain Injury
- Trigeminal Autonomic Cephalgias
- Toxic/Metabolic Headaches
Types of headaches described and explained
Different types of headaches
No two people feel or describe pain in exactly the same way. However, the various types of headaches have symptoms that are fairly consistent. The descriptions here are provided to help you determine what sort of headache you experience. This is not a substitute for a diagnosis by a doctor, but is meant to provide a general guide. Read more to see if you have potentially dangerous headaches.
This is also not an exhaustive list of all headache types, but gives an overview of those most commonly encountered. For those who would like more information about the classification and diagnosis of various headaches, more information can be found in the International Headache Society's ICHD-2 (International Classification of Headache Disorders, 2nd Edition).
updated Feb 9, 2010